M4.3-R4: INTRODUCTION TO ICT RESOURCES
1. There are TWO PARTS in this Module/Paper. PART ONE contains FOUR questions and
PART TWO contains FIVE questions.
2. PART ONE is to be answered in the TEAR-OFF ANSWER SHEET only, attached to the
question paper, as per the instructions contained therein. PART ONE is NOT to be
answered in the answer book.
3. Maximum time allotted for PART ONE is ONE HOUR. Answer book for PART TWO will be
supplied at the table when the answer sheet for PART ONE is returned. However,
candidates, who complete PART ONE earlier than one hour, can collect the answer book for
PART TWO immediately after handing over the answer sheet for PART ONE.
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS TOTAL MARKS: 100
(PART ONE – 40; PART TWO – 60)
(Answer all the questions)
1. Each question below gives a multiple choice of answers. Choose the most appropriate one and enter in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
C) operating system
D) none of the above
1.2 Windows distinguishes between the different drives by means of a naming convention. Each
drive is designated by a letter followed by
A) an asterisk
B) an exclamation point.
C) a colon
D) a semicolon
1.3 What can a computer virus do?
A) Kill the mouse
B) Change how your computer operates
C) Spoil hard disk
D) Backup your data
1.4 The OSI layer that arranges signals into logical units of information called frames.
1.5 What groups on Windows NT workstation have the right to take ownership of Computer?
C) Account operators
D) Print operators
M4.3-R4 Page 2 of 5 January, 2012
1.6 What is a LAN?
A) Local Access Network
B) Local Advanced network
C) Local Area Network
D) Local Alternative Network
1.7 A wireless network uses ________ waves to transmit signals.
1.8 DVD stands for
A) digital value disk
B) digital versatile disk
C) direct versatile disk
D) dual versatile disk
1.9 Press ________ to open the windows task manager.
A) Shift + Alt + Ctrl
B) Ctrl + Alt + Esc
C) Ctrl + Alt + Delete
D) Shift + Ctrl + Delete
1.10 The shortcut to undo is
2. Each statement below is either TRUE or FALSE. Choose the most appropriate one and ENTER in the “tear-off” sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
2.1 The format command instructs the computer to alphabetize all files in the disk.
2.2 After deleting user account, it can be restored by re-creating it.
2.3 A path identifies a file’s location in the drive and folder hierarchy
2.4 A device driver is a program that enables a device to communicate with the operating
2.5 File sharing on a network enables to browse among the shared files throughout the network.
2.6 Network Diagnostics is accessed via the System Information Program.
2.7 If you have a program on your computer that you no longer need, or one that is not working
as it should, the best way to remove it is to click and drag it to the Recycle Bin.
2.8 The maximum segment length on a 10BaseT network is 100 meters.
2.9 Default port number for Web Server is 80.
2.10 Dot Matrix printer is non-impact type printer.
3. Match words and phrases in column X with the closest related meaning/word(s)/phrase(s) in column Y. Enter your selection in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
X Y3.1 INKJET A. Technology used to construct ICs
3.2 Nero B. Provides Internet Connectivity
3.3 CMOS C. Standard for a wired connection between two electronic devices
3.4 FDD D. A type of cable
3.5 ISP E. File compression
3.6 CAT 5 F. A type of game
3.7 USB G. A device driver
3.8 NTFS H. A type of malicious program
3.9 Trojan I. A type of windows file system
3.10 PKzip J. A type of printer
L. Software to burn CD-ROM
M. Four-pair wire medium
4. Each statement below has a blank space to fit one of the word(s) or phrase(s) in the list below. Enter your choice in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
D. Physical E. Faster F. Co-axial
G. Workgroup H. PKzip I. Slower
J. Cartridge K. Topology L. FTP
4.1 A window’s ________ contains the sizing buttons, which enable you to change the window’s
4.2 ________ is a faster memory than Hard Disk.
4.3 ________ refers to one spot in a grid of thousands of such spots that form the images on
the computer screen.
4.4 A ________ is a description of the layout of area covered by a network
4.5 The ________ OSI layer carries signals between computers.
4.6 ________ is a protocol for file transfer.
4.7 A peer-to-peer network, is also known a ________.
4.8 ________ contain ink for printing in inkjet printers.
4.9 Cache Memory is ________ in speed than secondary storage device.
4.10 ________ is one of the most common network media.
(Answer any FOUR questions)
a) Explain BIOS setup utility.
b) Compare impact printers and non-impact printers.
c) Explain layers of Open System Interconnection model.
a) Explain the startup process of Windows NT.
b) Explain half-duplex and full-duplex transmission modes.
c) What is defragmentation? How is it useful in Windows Operating System?
a) Explain Client/Server method of computing with any example.
b) What is the difference between hubs and switches?
c) What are the advantages of File Sharing in Windows environment?
a) How to back up a file system of a hard disk by using the Backup utility?
b) Explain high level and low level formatting.
c) Write about guided transmission media.
9. Explain any three of the following:
d) Differences between User and Group Accounts of Windows NT