M4.3-R4: INTRODUCTION TO ICT RESOURCES
1. There are TWO PARTS in this Module/Paper. PART ONE contains FOUR questions and
PART TWO contains FIVE questions.
2. PART ONE is to be answered in the OMR ANSWER SHEET only, supplied with the
question paper, as per the instructions contained therein. PART ONE is NOT to be
answered in the answer book.
3. Maximum time allotted for PART ONE is ONE HOUR. Answer book for PART TWO will be
supplied at the table when the answer sheet for PART ONE is returned. However,
candidates, who complete PART ONE earlier than one hour, can collect the answer book for
PART TWO immediately after handing over the answer sheet for PART ONE.
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS TOTAL MARKS: 100
(PART ONE – 40; PART TWO – 60)
(Answer all the questions)
1. Each question below gives a multiple choice of answers. Choose the most appropriate one and enter in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
1.1 Virtual Memory is part of
C) HARD DISK
1.2 You install a(n) ________ to tell the computer how to use a new peripheral device.
B) Device Driver
1.3 Where is POST located?
B) Hard Drive
1.4 A file with extension of ‘zip’ indicates
A) a folder
B) a backup file
C) a compressed file
D) an encrypted file
1.5 Size of each sector in a hard disk
A) 512 bytes
B) 1024 bytes
C) 256 bytes
D) 128 bytes
1.6 BIOS software is part of
1.7 Convert digital data to analog and analog to digital
A) Mobile phone
D) Sound card
1.8 Before storing data in a new disk, it has to be
1.9 Switch is preferred over HUB because
A) Switch is cheaper
B) Switch uses less power
C) More computers can be connected to switch
D) Switch performance is better
1.10 Why dot-matrix printers are used now-a-days?
A) They are quiet
B) They are useful only for data processing applications
C) They are better quality
D) They are suitable for multi-part forms
2. Each statement below is either TRUE or FALSE. Choose the most appropriate one and ENTER in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
2.1 When you copy a file to another location, the original file is deleted.
2.2 dll is the implementation of shared library in windows.
2.3 Any program can be deleted by deleting an icon.
2.4 Non impact printer cannot be used to print carbon copies or multiple copies in a single pass.
2.5 Never spray cleaning solution directly on the computer screen.
2.6 Guest login name cannot be changed.
2.7 Anti-virus software finds only known viruses.
2.8 Anti-virus software signatures are to be updated every day.
2.9 INTERNET applications work in Client/Server method.
2.10 Fiber optic cables are appropriate for military operations.
3. Match words and phrases in column X with the closest related meaning/word(s)/phrase(s) in column Y. Enter your selection in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
X Y3.1 Linux A. Loads startup files
3.2 Simplex communication B. Firewall
3.3 10Base2 C. Data Redundancy
3.4 Ntldr D. A group of tracks
3.5 Gateway E. Laser Printer
3.6 Ping F. No host computer
3.7 Ring Network G. ICMP echo message
3.8 Toner H. Connects two incompatible networks
3.9 Cylinder I. Compression Utility
3.10 RAID technology J. Ethernet
K. Television transmission
L. Operating System
4. Each statement below has a blank space to fit one of the word(s) or phrase(s) in the list below. Enter your choice in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
A. Recovery Console B. NIC C. ATM
D. SATA E. Shortcut F. CAT 5
G. Serial H. POST I. Firewall
J. Attrib K. BNC L. ATC
4.1 During ________, computer checks most of its parts.
4.2 A ________ is a pointer to an object in Windows.
4.3 Using ________, you can perform many administrative tasks.
4.4 ________ port can only transfer data one bit at a time.
4.5 ________ is a command to make a file to be hidden.
4.6 ________ is a hard disk interface.
4.7 ________ is an adapter card used to send and receive signals on a network.
4.8 ________ cabling is used to support up to 100 Mbps bandwidth.
4.9 ________ can provide for simultaneous data, video and voice transmission.
4.10 ________ prevents unauthorized access.
(Answer any FOUR questions)
a) Explain any five BIOS error codes.
b) Explain the procedure to install RAM.
c) Explain the functionality of ‘Recycle Bin’ in Windows Operating System.
a) Explain Low level and High level formatting of disk.
b) What is compression? Name any two compression utilities in Windows.
c) How System Restore works in Windows?
a) What are the symptoms of a computer virus infection?
b) Explain Local Area network.
c) What are the advantages and disadvantages of Coaxial Cable?
a) Explain the network layer of OSI model.
b) How to Share Files and Folders Over a Network for Workgroups in Windows 2000?
c) How many IP numbers are possible in a Class B network using IPv4 addressing scheme.
Give an example of one Class B network in the form of net id and subnet mask.
9. Explain any three of the following:
a) Laser Printer
d) Local user group in Windows