M4.3-R4: INTRODUCTION TO ICT RESOURCES
1. Question Paper in English and Hindi and Candidate can choose any one language.
2. In case of discrepancies in language, English version will be treated as final.
3. There are TWO PARTS in this Module/Paper. PART ONE contains FOUR questions and PART
TWO contains FIVE questions.
4. PART ONE is to be answered in the OMR ANSWER SHEET only, supplied with the question
paper, as per the instructions contained therein. PART ONE is NOT to be answered in the
5. Maximum time allotted for PART ONE is ONE HOUR. Answer book for PART TWO will be
supplied at the table when the answer sheet for PART ONE is returned. However, candidates,
who complete PART ONE earlier than one hour, can collect the answer book for PART TWO
immediately after handing over the answer sheet for PART ONE.
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS TOTAL MARKS: 100
(PART ONE – 40; PART TWO – 60)
(Answer all the questions)
1. Each question below gives a multiple choice of answers. Choose the most appropriate one and enter in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
1.1 BIOS is known as _______.
A) Basic input output software
B) Basic input output system
C) Basic input operating system
D) None of the above
1.2 The term LPT is related to
A) Parallel port
B) Serial Port
C) Centronics port
D) USB port
1.3 The computer memory used for temporary storage of data and program is called
1.4 NERO software is used for
A) Formatting hard drive
B) Connecting Internet
D) Burn CD-ROM
1.5 MBR is located at
A) the first sector of a data storage device that has been partitioned
B) the first sector of a data storage device that has not been partitioned
C) the last sector of a data storage device that has been partitioned
D) any sector other than first and last on a active partition
1.6 RAID Level 0 is used to
A) Combine five hard disks as a single unit
B) Combine external USB drive with the hard disk
C) Combine three hard disks as a single unit
D) Format hard drive with zeros
1.7 Convert digital data to analog and vice versa
A) LAN card
B) Sound card
D) Video card
1.8 Capacity of 3.5” FDD is
A) 1.2 MB
B) 1.5 MB
C) 1.44 MB
D) 1 MB
1.9 An ISP provides internet connectivity via dial-up with
1.10 Which topology requires a central controller?
2. Each statement below is either TRUE or FALSE. Choose the most appropriate one and ENTER in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
2.1 On a single hard disk, four primary partitions can be created.
2.2 Cache is an area on disk for temporary storage of information.
2.3 A parallel port allows the transfer of all the bits of a word simultaneously.
2.4 Defrag utility is destructive process.
2.5 A router is a specialized computer that is programmed to interface between different networks.
2.6 Dot Matrix Printer is non-impact type printer.
2.7 A cylinder is a group of tracks with same radius.
2.8 CAT 5 indicates a cabling category.
2.9 FORMAT.EXE command is used to partition a hard drive.
2.10 System Restore revert system changes to previous state.
3. Match words and phrases in column X with the closest related meaning/ word(s)/phrase(s) in column Y. Enter your selection in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
X Y3.1 Keyboard A. Hard Drive
3.2 IDE B. Diode
3.3 LED C. Compression
3.4 Inkjet D. Virus
3.5 PKZIP E. Network
3.6 Trojan F. Transmission mode
3.7 LAN G. Video storage
3.8 Half-duplex H. Restore deleted file
3.9 DVD I. Printer
3.10 Recycle Bin K. PS/2
K. Operating system
4. Each statement below has a blank space to fit one of the word(s) or phrase(s) in the list below. Enter your choice in the “OMR” answer sheet supplied with the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
A. ROM BIOS B. NTFS C. Data
D. Spooling E. Topology F. File
G. Motherboard H. OSI I. Keyboard
J. Format K. NTLDR L. Dial
4.1 ________ switches the processor from real-mode to protected mode.
4.2 The ________ checks to see if system is a ‘cold start’ or a ‘warm-start’.
4.3 FDDI is an acronym for the fiber distributed ________ interface.
4.4 ________ is the only file system used with Windows NT that has the ability to provide local
4.5 The process of storing documents on the hard disk and then sending them to the printer is called
4.6 ________ is a collection of related information.
4.7 ________ is a logical arrangement of network.
4.8 BIOS software is part of ________.
4.9 ________ is a communications reference model.
4.10 The ________ enables users to enter data or to type commands.
(Answer any FOUR questions)
a) Write step by step procedure for installation of Windows XP operating System.
b) Differentiate between serial and parallel ports.
a) What are the steps necessary for maintaining your computer?
b) How will you write data on a CD-R and CD-RW disks? Explain the steps involved in Windows
c) What is a floppy disk?
a) What is the IP address? What are the different classes in which IP addresses are classified?
b) Explain transmission modes-Simplex, Half-Duplex and Full-Duplex.
a) How will you install and share a printer?
b) How will you create a local group in Window NT?
9. Write a short note on any three of the following:
a) Disk Cleanup in Windows Operating System
b) Explain Full-backup and Incremental backup
c) Mesh Topology