UGC Net Computer Science Paper 1 December 12 , Page 4-Solved
31. Which of the following is a source of methane ?
(B) Foam Industry
(C) Thermal Power Plants
(D) Cement Industry
32. ‘Minamata disaster’ in Japan was caused by pollution due to
33. Biomagnification means increase in the
(A) concentration of pollutants in living organisms
(B) number of species
(C) size of living organisms
34. Nagoya Protocol is related to
(A) Climate change
(B) Ozone depletion
(C) Hazardous waste
35. The second most important source after fossil fuels contributing to India’s energy needs is
(A) Solar energy
(B) Nuclear energy
(D) Wind energy
36. In case of earthquakes, an increase of magnitude 1 on Richter Scale implies
(A) a ten-fold increase in the amplitude of seismic waves.
(B) a ten-fold increase in the energy of the seismic waves.
(C) two-fold increase in the amplitude of seismic waves.
(D) two-fold increase in the energy of seismic waves.
37. Which of the following is not a measure of Human Development Index ?
(A) Literacy Rate
(B) Gross Enrolment
(C) Sex Ratio
(D) Life Expectancy
38. India has the highest number of students in colleges after
(A) the U.K.
(B) the U.S.A.
39. Which of the following statement(s) is/are not correct about the Attorney General of India ?
1. The President appoints a person,who is qualified to be a Judge of a High Court, to be the Attorney
General of India.
2. He has the right of audience in all the Courts of the country.
3. He has the right to take part in the proceedings of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
4. He has a fixed tenure. Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(A) 1 and 4
(B) 2, 3 and 4
(C) 3 and 4
(D) 3 only
Explanation :-The Attorney General of India is the Indian government's chief legal advisor, and its primary lawyer in the Supreme Court of India. He is appointed by the President of India under Article 76 of the Constitution and holds office during the pleasure of the President. He must be a person qualified to be appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court, also must have been a judge of some high court for five years or an advocate of some high court for ten years or an eminent jurist, in the opinion of the President and must be a citizen of India.
Powers and duties
The Attorney General is necessary for giving advice to the Government of India in legal matters referred to him. He also performs other legal duties assigned to him by the President. The Attorney General has the right of audience in all Courts in India as well as the right to participate in the proceedings of the Parliament, though not to vote. The Attorney General appears on behalf of Government of India in all cases (including suits, appeals and other proceedings) in the Supreme Court in which Government of India is concerned. He also represents the Government of India in any reference made by the President to the Supreme Court under Article 143 of the Constitution.
40. Which of the following prefix President Pranab Mukherjee desires to be discontinued while interacting with Indian dignitaries as well as in official notings ?
1. His Excellency
Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(A) 1 and 3
(B) 2 and 3
(C) 1 and 2
(D) 1, 2 and 3
President Pranab Mukherjee wants to depart from the existing protocol of being addressed as ‘His Excellency’ and also wants minimal disruption in the city caused by the movement of his convoy. The President wants most functions to be held within the precincts of the Rashtrapati Bhavan so that there is no disruption of traffic and less burden on the police.
Mr. Mukherjee has asked for dropping the honorific ‘Excellency’ as a prefix to his name for officials functions within the country and during interaction with dignitaries. On Tuesday, Mr. Mukherjee approved of the revised protocol practices that will now be followed vis-à-vis the President.
“Use of the words ‘His Excellency’ will be discontinued while organising functions within the country and during interaction between Indian dignitaries and the President,” read a statement issued by the President’s Office.
The President has specified that in Hindi the word ‘ Mahamahim’ used as prefix to his name will be replaced with ‘ Rashtrapati Mahoday’. Also, the word “Hon’ble” will be used before the title of ‘President’ or ‘Governor’. And the traditional Indian greeting of ‘Shri’ or ‘Smt.’ will precede the name.
As per the revised protocol, ‘Excellency’ will be used only for interaction of Indian leaders with foreign dignitaries and foreign dignitaries with Indian leaders as is the customary international practice.
The word ‘ Mahamahim’ will be replaced with ‘ Rashtrapati ji’ in official notings in the President’s Secretariat, his office said.