M2-R4 INTERNET TECHNOLOGY AND WEB DESIGNNOTE:
1. There are TWO PARTS in this Module/Paper. PART ONE contains FOUR questions and
PART TWO contains FIVE questions.
2. PART ONE is to be answered in the TEAR-OFF ANSWER SHEET only, attached to the
question paper, as per the instructions contained therein. PART ONE is NOT to be answered in theanswer book.
3. Maximum time allotted for PART ONE is ONE HOUR. Answer book for PART TWO will besupplied at the table when the answer sheet for PART ONE is returned. However, candidates, who
complete PART ONE earlier than one hour, can collect the answer book for PART TWO immediately after handing over the answer sheet for PART ONE.
TOTAL TIME: 3 HOURS TOTAL MARKS: 100
(PART ONE – 40; PART TWO – 60)
(Answer all the questions)
1. Each question below gives a multiple choice of answers. Choose the most appropriate one and enter in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
1.1 TCP is a commonly used protocol at
A) Applications layer
B) Network layer
C) Transport Layer
D) Physical Layer
1.2 The domain name in an URL refers to the
1.3 Cell base architecture is known as
1.4 Telnet is
A) Terminal network
B) Telephone network
C) Telecommunication network
D) Terrestrial network
1.5 A software that prevents external access to a system is termed as
C) Intrusion Prevention system
1.6 A valid e-mail address is
1.7 A web publishing tool developed by Microsoft is
B) Hot Metal
D) Front Page
1.8 Which of the following cable types is generally associated with the linear bus topology
A) Unshielded twisted pair
B) Fiber Optic
C) Thin coaxial cable
D) Telephone cable
1.9 Error detection at a data link level is achieved by
B) Cyclic redundancy code
C) Hamming code
1.10 On Internet, which version of the Internet Protocol is the most widely used
2. Each statement below is either TRUE or FALSE. Choose the most appropriate one and ENTER in the “tear-off” sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
2.1 Web traffic on Internet is transferred using FTP.
2.2 ASP is the product of Microsoft.
2.3 Download means to copy a file from your computer to another.
2.4 When the cursor pointer changes to a hand you are over a hyperlink.
2.5 SMTP protocol is used by a mail client program to fetch mail from mail server
2.7 ‘HTTPS’ traffic is encrypted traffic.
2.8 WAN is based on Ethernet.
2.9 GIF format is suitable to save a full color photograph.
2.10 A web browser is also referred to as a web client.
3. Match words and phrases in column X with the closest related meaning/word(s)/phrase(s) in column Y. Enter your selection in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
X Y3.1 Backbone A. Wireless network
3.2 Wi-Fi B. Internet on serial interface
3.3 Ping C. Mail
3.4 Throughput D. Remote access
3.5 SLIP E. connects two local-area networks
3.6 RDP F. File transfer
3.7 POP3 G. Hypertext
3.8 NNTP H. telecommunications network
3.9 ISDN I. Usenet
3.10 Bridge J. connects large networks
K. Communication speed
L. Check network errors
M. Routing protocol
4. Each statement below has a blank space to fit one of the word(s) or phrase(s) in the list below. Enter your choice in the “tear-off” answer sheet attached to the question paper, following instructions therein. (1x10)
D. POP3 E. UDP F. CGI
J. VRML K. Search Engine L. Header
4.1 ________ is a device containing software that help in determining the best path out of the
4.2 An application receiving data is called ________.
4.3 A local area network technology that uses fiber optics to interconnect station in a ring
topology is ________.
4.4 ________ help to locate PDF files on internet.
4.5 A simple protocol used for fetching e-mail from a remote mailbox is ________.
4.6 ________ was originally developed by Netscape for client side validation.
4.7 ________ is used to deliver web pages and other content to multiple users on Internet.
4.8 Virtual worlds are created using a computer language called ________.
4.9 ________ is an address used as an entry point into another network.
4.10 ________ is a standard way in which the web interacts with outside resources, such as a
(Answer any FOUR questions)
a) Describe OSI reference model with layered approach.
b) Write an html program segments to print unordered, ordered lists.
c) Define E-commerce. What is the impact of E-commerce?
a) What is the network topology? Discuss the STAR topology.
b) How e-mail is delivered using Internet?
c) How to prevent Cyber Crime?
a) Write HTML commands to achieve the following:
i) Put a Level two heading ‘I am at top’.
ii) Put ‘I am BOLD’ in bold typeface.
iii) Render ‘I am BIG’ in a larger font.
iv) Render ‘I am SMALL’ in a smaller font.
v) Provide a link to http://www.microsoft.com
b) What are the advantages of twisted-pair wire?
a) Explain Web Publishing. Write about any publishing tool.
b) Explain what is a firewall and what it is used for? How are firewalls implemented?
c) What is IRC? Give any six commands used in IRC.
9. Write short notes on any three of the following:
a) Search Engines.
b) FTP with an example to upload a large number of mp3 files.
d) What is a cookie? How are they used on Internet?